Captain Henault of the lead mining vessel Princess floated up from his seat and grabbed a zipline handle. He moved through the dark, greasy hold of the ship and down towards an open bay. He dropped through the double doors and drifted to the floor with practiced ease.
Henault landed at the feet of an almost alien-looking device. It was oblong and the size of a small transport vehicle. There was little on the outside to define it, aside from a sensor and communications array. In front of what was obviously a circular hatch, a greasy-haired and skinny mechanic was waiting. A green light on the side of the hatch pulsed as the hatch spiraled open: a young woman emerged from it like an uneasy insect from its chrysalis. She was tired and a pale shade of queasy green. Henault smiled and extended his hand.
"Welcome to the Princess," he offered kindly.
"I'm..." the young woman began, then stopped as her stomach turned.
Henault smiled again. "Welcome to Caprice, Lieutenant. We're having a small problem with some cockroaches called the NEC. We heard you Terranovans kicked their butts once, and we're hoping you might be able to help us."
Caprice: the planet known as the Gateworld, and Earth's first daughter. One of the main human colonies, this harsh planet harbors a dynamic society that not only survived the turmoil of the post-colonial period but managed to thrive on its own. As the forces of the imperialist New Earth Commonwealth prepare their take-over of the human worlds, however, Caprice finds itself an occupied world, stuck between hammer and anvil. But the Capricians have always been a resourceful people . . .
The Life on Caprice sourcebook is a game resource for Dream Pod 9's exciting Heavy Gear science-fiction game. Within these covers you will find:
- A complete history of the Caprician world;
- An extensive examination of Caprice's characteristics, from its geology and hydrography to each region's resources;
- A listing of all settlements, with location, population, political system and special characteristics described in depth;
- Dozens of important personalities for the players to meet and interact with;
- An in-depth examination of the cultures, habits and lifestyles found throughout Caprician societies;
- New equipment, campaign seeds and archetypes.