Rapture Essentials - everything a player needs, right on the tabletop!
Rapture: End of Days. The quirky, narrative-driven, theological sci-fi horror game from Storyweaver productions, just got better. Sure, we pumped everything we could think of - the rules, heaps of examples, tons of setting material, GM's info and rules for ‘the forces of evil,' GM's tips and story seeds - into the Rapture EoD Core Rulebook, and it was good (if you haven't checked it out yet, go take a look. We'll wait :). The Core Rules layout is dark and moody, befitting the genre, but think of all that toner or ink if you were to print the rules out to have on the tabletop! Well reviewers pointed this out, and we listened!
Enter Rapture Essentials. This product is the perfect tabletop reference for players and a boon for GM's alike. In it's 34 pages we have distilled down the rules set to exactly what the players need to be concerned with, along with just the right amount of detail needed for character creation, linking the poor, harrowed souls to the setting through their Goals and Tasks. The layout is toner and ink friendly on a white background, and we have edged the pages with a quick-find system that should make locating that rule you need quick and painless. Rounded out with hints for playing successfully in the universe of Rapture, each section is referenced back to it's location in the Core Rulebook if more examples or greater detail is required. And Rapture GM's will be glad not to have all their beasties and Forces of Legion on display to the players, as well as all those handy story seeds in the back of the Core Rules. After all, GMing a game of Rapture requires the building of suspense, and that's kind of hard to do when the players have all that detail in their hands, too.
Rapture Essentials is recommended as a tabletop version of the rules for players and GM alike. GM's are advised to have a copy of the Core Rulebook as well, to give them access to full rules and more examples, the deeper setting material (necessary when building adventures), the rules for creating and using monsters (including the 30 handy creature powers provided), GM tips, and story seeds.
The End of Days... is just the beginning.
The year is 2644. Humanity has cast off religion and migrated to the stars. With science as the new savior, mankind believed himself to be creating new Edens in the far flung heavens.
But God kept His promise. The day of Rapture came.
Those who walked the Earth with a righteous spirit and pure soul were taken into the loving arms of the Lord. Those who skulked with the devil, ignoring God's divine laws, have been cast aside to face the horrors awaiting all sinners. As promised, the Earth burned. The clouds evaporated. The rule of man, of reason and science, came to an end.
But that was on Earth.
And not all of Mankind was on Earth.
These far flung few who remain, forgotten by God, or perhaps given a second chance, now face a future where good and evil have come into sharp relief; where science has proven to be a false idol, yet one that is vital for survival.
With communications between colonies severed, no one knows for sure what has befallen humanity. The isolated pockets of human colonists are returning to the old ways - political squabbling, superstition and factional infighting are on the rise. As a tide of distrust rises among the survivors, unexplainable horrors are emerging.
The legions of Satan are real...
And they are coming for you.
Praise for Rapture: The End of Days
"This is the most clever, original setting concept I've seen since Day After Ragnarok. Someone really needs to make a film of this, right now."
- Greg Stanyer
"I like this book. It feels very much like a theological sci-fi horror, so it achieves everything it sets out to... The system for "Extras" is one of the most interesting ways I've seen to reward players for followers while making them both incredibly useful and expendable."
- Erathoniel Woodenbow (Featured Reviewer)
Rapture Essentials at a glance:
- 34 pages of toner/ink friendly layout.
- Quick-find system to get you to the right rule fast.
- Printer AND iPad friendly pages with cross-linking indexes to find information fast!
- All the detail that players need to create and play characters, with none of the GM detail that would spoil the game.
- Playing tips for those new to high body-count, narrative driven, theological sci-fi horror.
- Having several copies on the desktop is cheep and will get your characters designed and have you playing that much quicker!
- Unique rule system that throws your heroes into all the tension and fear of sci-fi thrillers.
- Mimic the dark claustrophobic grittiness of films like Alien and Event Horizon, where players are hunted down one by one.
- Or pitch your heroes into mass battles against hoards aliens or undead with fast and fun mass combat mechanics. Put the life and death decisions squarely in your players trembling hands.
- Paranoia and politics. Passion and puzzlement. Rapid character development and an open-ended approach to character backgrounds. You'll have interesting heroes alive and kicking in no time at all.
- Fear and Madness mechanics that truly reflect the growing terror and insanity of the best thrillers.
- Unique 'experience the sweet release of death' rules simulate the way sci-fi thrillers cut through the cast of heroes until only a lucky few are left standing: as your heroes are killed off - and they will be - their friends will quickly step in, tougher and more desperate to survive than before.